Thursday, February 21, 2008

Sand Table

For family night this week we built a sand table. I have been trying to get the kids to go outside in the backyard and play but we don't have a very fun yard yet. Aside from kicking a soccer ball around for a few minutes or turning the hose on and trying to make mud the kids aren't too interested in the back yard. So I've been in search of low cost things we can put in the yard to make it more fun. This is one solution I came up with. We built this sand table out of a big black tub from Home Depot (it is for mixing something like dry wall putty). It was $5 and then two bags of sand for $2 each. We then put it up on some crates that I've been packing around since I left home (we've used them as book shelves, an entertainment center, storage, and a base for a toddler bed). So for under $10 I have some sanity and the kids have something fun in the backyard.

The weather has been moody-- which is fine. We didn't get a very big storm on Saturday like they had predicted. No hail, no tornadoes, not even distant thunder. It has been off and on sunny and cloudy the last few days which makes it warm and humid. Having the sand table under the patio makes it a perfect place to play out of the sun and rain. Now if only sand weren't so sandy I'd have the perfect set up!

3 comments:

Stepha said...

How fun!!! I can't believe how grown up they look, and Talmage is looking so tall!

Jessica said...

Sand weren't so sandy, dirt not so dirty, water not so wet... if only we could keep our kids clean, safe, and warm all the time! I guess we do have to let them move. ;P You are so resourceful! That is a really good idea and it's fun that the kids are old enough to really play on their own together now.

Jackie said...

That is a great idea! I built a sand box last year, but that didn't work out so well when stray cats came to use it as a litter box because I didn't cover it every time we were done. I think I'm going to have to try this new idea! You're a genius!