Monday, December 3, 2007

My Latest Ultrasound

No I'm not pregnant. My latest ultrasound was on my shoulder. Not nearly as cool to look at as one of a baby but interesting. I have continued to have problems with my shoulder and so at my last doctors visit I got two Cortisone shots in my shoulder. Now, four days later, I am able to move my arm almost normally. Hurray! The diagnosis was tendinitis that was complicated by the Rheumatoid Arthritis and then because it was so soar I wasn't using it enough and the tendons started to tighten . . . It was almost "frozen shoulder" but not quite. I now have stretches and things I have to do to keep it working and I'm not supposed to do any lifting with it-- who wants to explain that to Anya? I realized how much of a miracle it really was that I was able to move it that one Sunday to conduct the Primary Program. We're still working on figuring out the best treatment plan for the Arthritis. I've had so disabling flares again lately. For the most part I can laugh about how being an "old lady", but sometimes it hit me how much I miss being able to run, hike, and play silly cames on the floor with the kids.

Over and over I am reminded of my blessing though. And a big one is good health insurance. I don't even want to think what the cost of my last doctors visit would be if I didn't have it. Besides the visit itself I had the two cortisone shots, the ultrasound, x-rays on my hands, wrists and feet (checking to make sure I don't have permanent joint deformity), and a bunch of blood work (making sure my organs are tolerating my medicine). And because of good insurance and a great health plan from Aaron's work we personally will pay nothing. When I got home Talmage and Anya ran up to me and wanted to see my band aide. They were all covered by my sweater but they have learned to expect me to a least have a band aide from blood work when ever I come home from the doctor. They were pretty thrilled to see three! I'm glad I can please them so easily. They are probably my biggest blessing and joy-- oh Aaron's in there too! I love having a good reason to keep moving and trying to feel my best. The kids are also learning to help out around the house. Last week I heard Talmage get up from his "quiet time" and go into the laundry room. I hurried up the stair to figure out what he was getting into. He was pulling the laundry out of the dryer and moving the clothes from the washer to the dryer (we a have front load washer). What I sweet kid to think of that all on his own. He did a great job too. When it was time to start the dryer he let me because "kids aren't supposed to touch the buttons, that's why they put them up so high."

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Wow, what a great kid! You amaze me, Brandon, you are so strong! Our prayers are with you.