Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Why?

Anya has just hit the "why?" stage. Having two in diapers is nothing compared to two in the "why stage". I love that my kids are interested in the world around them and all but if I hear why one more time I may just have a nervous break down. The epitome of the why frustration is when I'll give the reason for what I am saying and Talmage will ask why and repeat what I just said. Example... "Talmage please don't lean over the railing, you might fall on your head." Talmage then asks "Why don't lean over the railing and fall on my head?" (isn't falling on your head reason enough) in a more patient moment I might respond... " Because if you fall on your head it will hurt and you might crack it open and it will bleed." Talmage--"Why it will hurt and crack open and might bleed?" Then the patient moment is gone and I tell him to get away from the railing. He's not always in the why mode but some days he relapses pretty bad. Then sweet Anya just says why every time I ask her to do something. Example "Anya, come here so I can change your diaper." Anya-- "Why" (does she want to know why we are changing her diaper or why she is coming-- I just told her why she's supposed to come so it must be why we need to change her diaper) I say, "Because it's squishy." She says "Why?". (Does she really not know? I think she just likes to ask why) So I say, "because you wet in it, now get over here." Sometimes she'll respond with an, "Ohhhh", like I just said something profound.

Well now all of this just sounds silly to get annoyed about now. Perhaps I'm ready to withstand a few more whys-- or maybe I'll just start asking them why! Sometimes asking Talmage why he thinks such and such in response to one of his whys actually helps, but it takes energy too.

No comments: