The hardest posts to write for me are the ones about myself. It's so much more fun to post something cool that the kids are doing. However, in an effort to answer the question of how my arthritis is doing these days and to enlist prayers I will post about myself today.
My most recent medicine for Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) was a shot I gave myself in the leg or stomach each week. Two years ago I thought there was no way I'd get to the point where I'd be ok with giving myself a shot. But then the RA got bad enough and I was able to and was even excited to give myself the shots, but only in my leg. I refused to do it in my stomach because that creeped me out. Then my legs were getting so bruised from the shots that I finally gave in and started doing them in my stomach. I bet you're all getting creeped out by this too. But it is similar to when you are in labor and are willing to let someone put a big fat needle in your back for an epidural because it's worth it for the pain reliefe. Well that medicine has slowly become less effective. So last month when my Rheumatologist saw that the joint inflamation was getting significanly worse and causing slight deformation in my knuckles, he recomended switching medication again. I will be recieving infusions of medicine called Orencia (a protein that binds to cells that my over active immune system is pumping out). Again I am stepping up to something I never thought I would be ok with. I remember when I was pregnant with Talmage my big fear about labor and delivery was if I would have to have an IV. Which I did. Now I get to have an IV infusion every month-- and don't even get a sweet baby out of the deal. It's good that I don't get a baby though because I am in no shape to care for one.
Last week I had my first infusion and it went well. It takes about 30 minutes. I go again in 9 days, I am counting down the days. I am very excited to get my three "loading" doses done because I should start seeing an improvement after that.
For now I am doing my best to take care of the kids and limit my stair use. For the most part I have to use a cane or crawl to get up and down the stairs. But I have had the blessing of being able to use my hands. When I was first being diagnosed with RA I had lost most of my hand capablities, meaning I could hardly write, I couldn't clap, make a fist or straighten my fingers all the way out. But as of today I can still write (with a normal pen), play piano with Talmage, type on the computer, do Anya's hair, and most other things I want to do with them. I am optomistic about this new medicine helping me and I will try to post about the wonderful things I can do once it starts working. I know the Lord has not forgotten me and I am being aided by his grace each day. I learn so much each time I have to struggle with the pain. Through it I have learned patience, humility, and reliance on the Lord. I have also be able to focus and refocus on those things that are most important to me. I have also been able to have a lot of helpful massages from Aaron each day. He's a great companion to have in my old age!
2 comments:
I've been wondering how you've been doing. I'm sorry that you've got such terrible arthritis. We will keep you in our prayers. I'm glad to hear you can still do some of those things with your kids that you get pleasure from. We've recently found out about Sean's arthritis in his knees, results from a fall in Iraq. It's not like yours, but I see that it's tough. I really hope this new medicine helps keep you able to do all the things you need and want to do with minimal pain.
Thank you for the update... You are a champion! I love your outlook on how it's a blessing because you are extra grateful for the things you can do with your kids that some of us take for granted. You have come a long way in your treatments. I'm glad Aaron is good to you. Another blessing I sometimes take for granted--a good husband. I, too, hope the new medicine does wonders for you. Keep us posted!
Post a Comment